ALLIGATORS IN A HELICOPTER

a pro script reader ponders movies, reading, writing and the occasional personal flashback

Wednesday, July 04, 2007

Damn You, Montezuma

So I'm back from Mexico. Call off the posse, bring the horses back to the leasing office.

As the title might indicate, I did get sick. No, I didn't drink the water. Well, I did, but it was bottled water. But something got me very sick, in that uniquely Mexican way.

Still, I managed to wrestle it into submission for long stretches (thanks to a lot of medication, though I'm still fighting it, even back in L.A.) and managed to enjoy most of the trip. It wasn't a resort vacation; we were visiting relatives of my wife, and so the places we saw were more off the beaten track. More ordinary Mexico.

The highlight was probably a small town in the mountains called Tapalpa, where my wife's cousin grew up. A tad touristy here and there (though there was some good local art, there was also refrigerator magnets with the town's name on them), but overall very old and very cool, with the kind of restaurants I wished existed in Woodland Hills, where I could just spend a lazy day reading and looking out over the plaza.

Movie titles translate interestingly in Mexico. The title of Ocean's Thirteen is "Now There Are Thirteen". Live Free or Die Hard is "Hard To Kill 4.0". And a saw a DVD for Planes, Trains and Automobiles in which the Spanish title translates as "Better Alone Than With Accompaniment". Which makes sense.

On the flight on the way back, they showed "Blades of Glory", but then stopped it with 30 minutes to go because the plane was landing. Bastards.

Back to work. Sigh.

**********

So for reasons I'm still not sure of, I submitted a script to the Bluecat competition a few months ago. Last Friday I got an e-mail asking for a .pdf copy of my script. I figured I must have made the first cut.

Two days later, they announce the top 10%. My script was nowhere to be found. I still haven't figured that one out.

Oh well. I need to be writing some new stuff anyway. I did do a little brainstorming during the trip, and hopefully I'll start turning out some pages and finishing some of the things that I'm halfway done with (which is both the blessing and the curse of my screenwriting group).

6 Comments:

At 10:29 PM, Blogger Patrick J. Rodio said...

Drop them an e-mail. Writers On The Storm lost my script, had no record of it, but I had proof of payment, etc, and they jumped all over it, ended up in the Quarters.

 
At 3:07 AM, Blogger Abe Burnett said...

Thank god you missed that last 30 minutes! You were spared the trauma inflicted as the giant piece-of-steaming-turd rolled into a grand finale which, impossibly, was even crappier than the first 3/4 of the film. Ugh. If I hadn't seen it with friends I would've walked out. I like dumb movies if they're done well (think Dumb and Dumber) but I LOATHED Blades of Glory. Oh there were a couple good laughs in it, but there were mere oasis' is an ocean of turd.

 
At 8:27 AM, Blogger Dante Kleinberg said...

Scott, if you really want to know how Blades of Glory ended, you can e-mail me. But you can probably figure it out. (hint: a misunderstanding almost ruins everything)

 
At 9:10 AM, Blogger Scott the Reader said...

Movies like Blades of Glory are perfect for airplanes. They have enough chuckles to make them better than twiddling your thumbs, while you don't feel like you actually paid money and trundled your way out to a movie theater for a mediocre film.

 
At 12:53 PM, Blogger E.C. Henry said...

Glad you made it back safe, Scott. Guess its safe to put my 6 shotter back in the attic.

- E.C. Henry from Bonney Lake, WA

 
At 9:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Don't let Bluecat get you down, Scott. Just remember that Gordy Hoffman wrote Love Liza. That should make you feel better.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home