ALLIGATORS IN A HELICOPTER

a pro script reader ponders movies, reading, writing and the occasional personal flashback

Friday, June 29, 2007

Weekend Boxoffice #38

Multiplexes should be very busy this weekend, with the well-reviewed RATATOUILLE and LIVE FREE OR DIE HARD both opening wide, and SICKO expanding.

RATATOUILLE (3940 theaters). With July 4 falling on a Wednesday, it's an odd weekend. Still, the kids are out of school and looking for something to see, and this feels like one of those films that will lure adults as well. Call it $59.7 million in its first 3 days.

LIVE FREE OR DIE HARD (3408 theaters). The exact kind of mindless hero action that people want to see. $40.4 million.

EVENING (977 theaters). Great cast, somewhat underwhelming reviews for a film that needed to be praised to the skies. Will do a little, but not much. $4.6 million.

SICKO (441 theaters). Getting great buzz, with many calling it Michael Moore's best. $8.1 million.

Predictions? What are y'all going to see this weekend?

4 Comments:

At 10:28 AM, Blogger Christina said...

I'm going to see Ratatouille, maybe even tonight on the way home from work. I don't have kids, but I still want to see it. So, I agree with your high estimate.

 
At 10:42 AM, Blogger Dante Kleinberg said...

Can't wait to see Ratatouille.

Might see Die Hard, though I haven't see any of the others. (I know, I know... I still want to see the first one at least)

Won't see Sicko. I'm interested in learning more about the health care industry but I simply don't trust Michael Moore to give me good information.

 
At 8:14 PM, Blogger Patrick J. Rodio said...

Dante - Look, obviously the guy has a biased view, but don't discount everything, it might actually open your eyes to something, you know?

Box Office:
Die Hard - 35 mil
Rata - 39 million
Evening - 2 million.

 
At 9:39 AM, Blogger Scott the Reader said...

Actual numbers:

Ratatouille $47
Die Hard 4 $33.4
Sicko $4.5
Evening $3.5

I'm a little surprised Die Hard's were a bit low, though it did open on Wednesday and did $48 million in its first 5 days.

Look for Transformers to be huge this weekend. It already set the record for a Tuesday.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home